Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ravel's Bolero



Another sunday come and gone. My little cat Molly is begging to come and be my wrist rest. I sit here listening to Ravel's Bolero. I dont remember the first time I heard this, maybe the Olympics? Not sure. I know I was really young. I listen to how it builds, adds, evolves...

Starts with the single flute and just a tint of cello-the begining of life
little build, a single horn?
the flute stays its familiar course. Like how we build memories on a foundation
add a clarinet, another layer
a little more violin, building
now drums, gently
the same melody, interchanging between the flute and clarinet
several flutes
building building

It amazes me every time I hear this piece of music that I hear something different. It occured to me tonight that this beautiful piece is a lifetime in 15 minutes. From the simple start through growing, learning, changing to the finale
and then silence

powerful.

Have you listened to it lately? This version is a little different than the one I have on my cd (I think it starts with an obo instead of a flute), but still amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4J5j74VPw

No comments:

Molly mooching yogurt

Molly mooching yogurt