Saturday, January 10, 2009

Movies you have to see - Elizabethtown


I have decided to start something on my blog about movies and music. Some you might have seen or heard, some not. Don't groan at me-my blog my rules :P

I saw a movie a few years ago called Elizabethtown. It stars Orlando Bloom and Kristen Dunst. I think it was in and out of the theaters in a blink. Sad thing too, it is so well done and a wonderful movie. It is very subtle, but the power of the message is in that subtly.

The guy screws up in a massive, billion dollar way, is fired from his job, goes home planning to kill himself. He is attempting to carry out the plan when he gets the call that his father died. He then has to go to his father's hometown in Elizabethtown, Kentucky to make final arrangements, planning to commit suicide when he gets home. On the plane to Kentucky, he meets a stewardess who talks to him the whole way there. She leaves him in Kentucky with directions to the town and her phone number.

As the movie goes along, he has to deal with his father's extended family. He doesn't know that the entire town knew and loved his father. He starts to get to know the family. As he learns about them, he learns about the father he didnt know. When he is leaving Kentucky with his father's ashes, the stewardess (now friend) gives him a large extensive map complete with music. He is to follow the map and listen to the music as he drives cross country. The journey helps him learn about the wonder of living and the journey of life. He figures out that there is more that defines him than a catastrophic failure. The trip is a symbolic begining of a new life, brought by the ending of another life.

I know, I know, I'm making a butchery of the synopsis, sorry 'bout that. I hope however sucky my writeup, you will take the time to see this movie.

This movie has an INCREDIBLE SOUNDTRACK!! I have said before, a movie soundtrack can be a terrific way to discover new music. This one is very very worth listening to and purchasing!

Im a big believer in the fact that music can strongly influence a life. I have heard this refered to as "the soundtrack of life". Music that touches you becomes part of your soul. You carry it with you. You know what I mean, that familar song comes on the radio, you smile and think about the past. What you were doing when you first heard the song. Me for example... "Careless Whisper" by Wham-Seventh grade, riding the bus home from a vollyball game versus Pearce, AZ. This song came on and the whole bus full sang along. The first time I heard Nirvana-Musicland in the Tucson Mall. "Come as you are" was playing as I walked in. I went straight to the counter and bought it. "I hate myself for loving you" by Joan Jett-wild high school party. Speaking of wild, the entire "Hysteria" album by Def Leppard. Well, I don't think I need to really speak about it. I was doing to this album what EVERYONE did to this album. Oh man, I was a bad bad girl that year LOL!

I guess the gist of the whole thing is this. Get your Netflix or Blockbuster or just go buy the darn thing but watch this movie. The soundtrack is fantastic, so get that too.

Im thinking next time to talk about Otto Titzling and the creation of the Bra. In any case, I am going to recommend a movie or music every week. I hope that you will let me know what you think, and if you have music or a movie to share with me and my 3 readers, bring it on!

No comments:

Molly mooching yogurt

Molly mooching yogurt