Monday, February 9, 2009

OMG! You HAVE to listen to this band!!


Hey guys! Welcome back to my strange little corner of cyberspace. It's cold tonight-the f*cking weather guy said strong possibility of snow. Snow-here-in Tucson. F*ck. No, Im not scared to say fuck, but Im trying to watch my mouth (fingers) hehe.

So Im sitting here in a shawl a friend made me for christmas. I had to go put socks on with my super awesome bunny slippers and my toes are STILL cold! At work, I had to pull out my little desktop heater. My fingers get bone cold easily and cold fingers combined with being a graphic artist...as you can imagine they dont go together too well. I will have this project from hell done tomorrow OH THANK GOD! 2 1/2 weeks of designing this program, yeah, Im a bit toasted. At least next year I will have all my working files to build on. This year no such luck. I had to pull the majority from pdf. Not hard but a pain in the arse just the same.

So, to comfort myself, I went looking for a band. This band was featured in a movie I recommended a week or so ago, Wristcutters. The band is called Gogol Bordello. Now, before I tell you a little bit about them, you have to remember my tastes can run a little odd... I love music that has a certain lust for life to it. I want fun, depth and joy. I want to hear how much the muscians loves what they do. Nothing sucks worse than a band that gets famous and mails it in (sorry but Metallica, are you listening? Load, Reload, Wide Load...come on guys!)

So, Gogol Bordello is my band to listen to tonight. They describe themselves as gypsy punk or gypsy folk. This music is so much fun to listen to-you really will not be able to sit still. It is a multicultural band of 8 people. Instruments include cymbals, accordian, saxaphone, fiddle, bass drum and um, fire buckets along with the more normal drums, guitar and bass. Their front man, Eugene Hütz, is a survivor of the Chernobyl disaster. His family relocated to New York and in 1999, he formed the band that would become Gogol Bordello. I have the album pictured above "Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike". I went to Borders yesterday to get their latest release, Super Taranta! The song link is from the Gypsy Punks album and is called "Start wearing purple". Oh yes, I think I might need some purple RIGHT NOW! "Super Taranta" is a terrific album the whole way through. Songs of note are Ultimate, Wonderlust King and Super Taranta!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_81l4DXlwM

I looked up their website www.gogolbordello.com to see if they were touring soon. No dates as of yet but I discovered they were in Tucson last august at a local venue, the Rialto Theater. Man, I was bummed. I heard from a friend that their live shows are an experience not to be missed. So, Im not letting a damn thing stop me next time they come-I WILL see them live!

If you are tired and bored to death by Rhianna, Chris Brown, Fergie and their ilk, give GB a listen. Top 40 can kiss my butt!

On a sad note, I wanted to mention that Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez, the acclaimed bassist of Cuba's legendary Buena Vista Social Club, passed away today. He was 76. For Señor Lopes, resto en la paz señor, usted será echado de menos. Gracias por la musica. Vaya con Dios.

Sleep well to all on this side of the pond, and good morning to everyone on the OTHER side of the pond.
Paz a todos!
C

No comments:

Molly mooching yogurt

Molly mooching yogurt