Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Heya! Got some music to groove too? Try this!


Hey guys
I know, it's been a couple days. I dont like to blog if Im not inspired, it just comes off as incipid drivel. But tonight, ahh inspiration strikes. Driving home from work tonight... You guys remember, I like to roll the windows down and enjoy the desert as the sun goes down. Well, the stereo hubby got for me for Christmas has an ipod jack. So, he let me have his ipod as well so I could listen to lots of music I like.

Im driving home along the river just paying attention to the sights and smells of the desert. It was amazing. I could smell the clean earthy smell of the dirt, the sweet musky mesquite burning in a fireplace. I could smell the fantastic bbq place near my work. The owner is really cool and he smokes all the meats onsite. He had the smoker on and the smell just travels... As I crossed the Rillito river bridge, I caught the scent of honeysuckle that was profusely blooming along the river walk trail. During this, the most perfect music was playing on the ipod. I hadn't heard the album in a long time but it just blew me away. It was Pink Floyd, Animals.

Ah, Floyd. Floyd while driving home with the vast expanse of the desert around me. It was almost like hearing the earth breathe.

Hearing this album made me go and get another of my favorite Floyd albums. I got my cd player and went out into my backyard to watch the mountains turn gold then red as the sun set.

Delicate Sound of Thunder. You know this one, it had the lightbulb suit on the cover. This album was my first exposure to Floyd. I know I know, but I had a very conservative upbringing. For god's sake, I missed Kiss ENTIRELY!! My mother didnt allow THAT kind of music in the house. But I digress and thank GOD I escaped to be the little sicko you all know, read and love ;)

The first song that sticks in my memory of Floyd is "Learning to Fly". I was in high school and I had such a crush on my manager. He drove a Camaro and I didn't even hold that against him ;) He was big into Floyd. We used to work close saturdays together. That meant Floyd blasted from the time we locked the doors at 11pm to the time we left at 2:30am. I remember Learning to Fly. It made a distinct memory of happiness during a time that I didnt have a lot of happy in my life...

So tonight I remembered those nights at McDonalds, listening to Floyd and being desparately in love with my manager. I sat in the cool of the evening, smelling the orange and lemon tree and getting lost in the music. Would have been the perfect moment to smoke a joint, except for the fact that I never have smoked pot... Besides, I can't smoke at all anymore. It's not just the "smoking is bad" thing. It's the weak lungs - smoking can kill me - thing.

Oh well, at least I have my cool evening, my Floyd, my memories and the smell of honeysuckle.

No comments:

Molly mooching yogurt

Molly mooching yogurt